Remember the school building closes each day at 3:15. Please plan to exit the building by 3:15pm, unless you have a supervised extracurricular activity that meets right after school. If you have a supervised school activity, you must report to the assigned meeting location by 3:15pm. If you have an activity scheduled later in the afternoon or evening, you must leave the building by 3:15pm and return at the time of your scheduled event. In order to ensure safety for all of our students, it’s important that you aren’t waiting around in the gyms and common spaces unsupervised after school. Thanks for your attention to these important guidelines.
The Bookstore is open before school and during morning break. If you have new classes this semester make sure you check to see if you need books!
Fri Jan. 21 - Fredo Friday
Mon Jan. 24 - Nacho Day
Activities & Clubs
Winterim 2022 Wrap-up: If you have not completed your Winterim 2022 evaluations, please take a few minutes to submit this form by the end of the week.
Additionally, there are prizes available for the BEST Winterim photos. Submit a photo to this Google Form that captures the story of your Winterim 2022. One submission per student is allowed. The deadline for submissions will be this Friday.
Please join the counselors during your Responsibility Period/Mastery Skills/Tutoring MONDAY AND TUESDAY, Jan. 24 & 25, in the Garage for the course registration presentation for senior year. Please bring your laptop.
If you do not have a Responsibility Period/Study Hall/Tutoring, please sign up for the Counseling Focus Time on Tuesday the 25th. Please bring your laptop.
SAT "Dawn Patrol" Practice Sessions begin January 24th. Sign up now!
JUNIORS! Get ready for the March 2nd in-school SAT. We will meet at 7:15 AM on Mondays and Wednesdays, Jan 24 - Feb. 28 in the Garage.
Learn what to expect on the SAT, identify personal challenge areas, and practice with real exam questions to increase confidence for test day!
GRCHS is generously subsidizing this initiative. The total cost is $40/student with scholarships available.
Click here to register. Space is limited due to social distancing guidelines.
GRCHS offers several different internships that you can apply for the 22-23 school year. These include Worship, Tech, Classroom, Eagle Sports Network, and Community Internships. Please use this link to apply. Internship decisions and notifications will be made before Spring Break. Internships are for credit only. Community Internships must be arranged by the student. See handouts in the counseling office for details.
Mental Health Focus Period
Mark your calendar, the Counseling Office is hosting multiple opportunities to view and discuss the film Angst on February 4th, 7th, and 8th during lunch and Focus period from 12:35-1:35pm. Angst is a film that addresses the growing prevalence of anxiety in teenagers. The film aims to remove the stigma about mental health and opens up conversation around anxiety, helping people understand and manage their symptoms, and addresses when to reach out for help. Watch the trailer here and spread the word about this opportunity to learn more about anxiety.
Student Custodial Workers Needed (Monday-Friday, after school)
Applicants should complete the online application form for support staff on the GRCS website. Applicants should also send a letter of interest, faith statement, and letters of reference to Jeremy Pyper (email@example.com), Head Custodian, at Grand Rapids Christian High School.
Yearbook Orders 📖
You can order your yearbooks here.
The counseling office is beginning to offer focus times on Fridays to hear from members of our community about their job and career field. Join us Friday, Jan 21 to hear from a Physicians Assistant. This would be perfect for students interested in healthcare.
Scholarships for Seniors:
Please visit this list for more!
Mary Ann Gundy Foreign Language Scholarship - Due Wednesday, February 16 by 3 pm
Eligible students must be a senior and plan on a major or minor in world language in college. Students must have completed 2 years of a world language upon graduation. The scholarship is $1,000. See application form.
John Zoerhoff Memorial Scholarship - Due Wednesday, February 16 by 3 pm
Eligible students must be a senior at GRCHS and plan to attend a 2 or 4-year college. Students must be involved in community service. Students must be affected personally by cancer OR intend to pursue a career in the medical field. The scholarship is $1,000. Please see application form for details.
Rainbow Foundation Scholarship (Now a Calvin University Donor Scholarship) - Due January 31
Eligible students must plan on attending Calvin University entering freshman year, and have a minimum GPA of 3.7 through 7 semesters. Students must demonstrate involvement in extracurricular activities in school, church, and community and demonstrate servant leadership and Christ-like qualities that support others with humility, care, and encouragements - oftentimes behind the scenes. Financial need is considered. The scholarship is $3,000 and renewable. Please see the application on Calvin's website here.
1. The Grand Rapids Community Foundation has over 600,000 dollars in scholarships available. Please visit www.grfoundation.org. All applications are due March 1, 2022
2. LMCU Hutt Scholarship for students/parents of Lake Michigan Credit Union members. This is a $2,000 scholarship due January 31, 2022. Visit LMCU/Hutt for details.
3. Mary Jane Dockeray Scholarships for Careers in Science are awarded to graduating high school seniors from public or private schools in the Kent, Muskegon, and Ottawa Intermediate School Districts with an interest in pursuing a career in science. These $2,500 scholarships are administered by the RMSC at GVSU. Detailed information and application forms can be obtained here. Applications due date March 1, 2022 for online applications and Feb. 18 for paper.
4. Established in 1967, the Roger B. Chaffee Scholarship Fund awards a $3,000 college scholarship each year to an outstanding high school senior in the Kent Intermediate School District, who intends to pursue a college career in engineering or the sciences relating to space technology. Visit http://rogerbchaffeescholarship.org/ for details. Applications due February 25.
5. The University Club of Grand Rapids’ Scholarship Fund has been established with the purpose of assisting students who express a strong desire to remain in or return to West Michigan upon completion of their studies. Applicants may attend any college or accredited vocational school: in-state, out-of-state, 2-year or 4-year program. Visit http://universityclubgr.com/scholarship-fund/ for more details. Application due February 2, 2022.
6. Rosa Parks Scholarship Foundation is a $2,000 scholarship for high school students in Michigan. Students must apply by writing an essay and providing a letter of recommendation. See here for more details. Application due March 1, 2022.
Special Needs Week at the Christian Reformed Conference Grounds in Grand Haven is looking for teenage volunteers to be paired with special needs campers. Commitment is from Saturday, June 18 at 3pm till Friday, June 24 at 11pm - you must be there the whole time. There is a minimal cost to cover lodging & food. All 1st & 2nd year volunteers must have a referral form filled out by a non-family member. All applications and referral forms need to be submitted by 3/1/21. Questions? Contact Kara Gonyon at 616-318-6661 or firstname.lastname@example.org
If any of you are interested in singing the national anthem at a varsity basketball game, please come and see Mr. Heerema in the athletic office. There have been vocalists, guitar and cello solos perform previously! We would love to share your talents with our community!