Dear Parents of GRCMS 8th Graders:
As we close in on the final week of school for the 2019-2020 school year, we do so with gratitude to God for His blessings and mercies through this unusual period that we are living in. It is a blessing to be a part of this community of faith and learning at GRCMS; thanks to each of you for sharing your precious children with us!
Thanks to everyone for your generosity with the 8th grade yards signs and for your willingness to help get them out! The signs will be delivered to your home on May 26 or May 27.
I want to give you a breakdown for the day of Thursday, May 28. This is our specific day to celebrate our 8th graders! Here is a schedule for the day with a timeline of what we have planned for them.
Item Collection and Drop-Off
Thursday, May 28, 9:00 am — 12:00 pm
- Please come by GRCMS as you are able between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm on this day.
- Vehicles should enter the school by the drive near the gym and come through the outdoor line of stations for dropping off and picking up items.
Note: No students or parents will enter the school building; we will bring all items to you and collect all items from you.
If your child is taking a summer session class at GRCHS:
- You will still be turning in your laptop with the other 8th graders even though you are taking a summer session class.
- Plans are in the works for having the incoming 9th graders who are taking a summer session pick up a high school spare laptop to use during the summer session (possibly on June 4).
- Once we have a roster of incoming 9th graders taking a summer class, we will e-mail you instructions on where to get your "summer session" laptop.
Vehicle Parade for 8th Graders
Thursday, May 28, 3:00 pm — 3:30 pm
Beginning at 3:00 pm on Thursday, May 28, we will have a completely voluntary vehicle parade for the 8th graders through the GRCMS parking lot for our staff to celebrate them and wave “goodbye” one final time.
The logistics of this will be a bit complicated — and we want to be good neighbors in the neighborhood around the school — so please try to follow these driving details carefully:
- We want the lead vehicles in the parade to start by the gym on E. Shiawassee Drive.
- Please try to start lining up by about 2:50 pm.
- Decorate your vehicle, if you want to.
- Vehicles will then line up behind one another, turning at S. Chesaning, and snaking back to Tekonsha and, if necessary, onto Shawnee Drive.
- Vehicles will drive through the GRCMS parking lot past the staff, and then vehicles will exit near the school’s main office and head toward Grand Rapids Christian High School.
** I will be sending a note to the neighbors to let them know when this is happening and to encourage them to cheer on the kids.
8th Grade Virtual Celebration
Thursday, May 28 at 7:00 pm
Due to the current distancing guidelines that we are living with, we are planning a virtual celebration at 7:00 pm on Thursday night, May 28, when graduation was initially scheduled to happen. (Remember our ‘in-person’ graduation date is Tuesday, August 11.)
At 7:00 pm on May 28, we will have the premiere viewing of our “8th Grade Virtual Celebration.”
Please check your email for the Zoom Video link for the Premiere.
We will get everyone logged in at 7:00 that night via Zoom and then will start the video a few minutes later once we are set with our many guests.
We can only have up to 500 guests to view the Virtual Celebration, so we ask that you have one device viewing per home. We also ask that you share this link initially with immediate family members, siblings, and grandparents.
Following the Live Premiere at 7:00 pm, we will send out a YouTube link so that you can re-watch the Virtual Celebration as much as you want to and can also share it with family and friends around the country and the globe.
A Note Regarding Yearbooks
The 2019-2020 GRCMS Yearbook production was delayed due to COVID-19 and non-essential business restrictions. The yearbooks will be printed in the next few weeks, but they will not be here to take home next week.
We are tentatively planning for 8th graders (who already ordered) to pick up their yearbooks once they've been delivered this summer (date and time TBD), and grades 5-7 who already ordered will be able to get theirs at a later date.
Any extra yearbooks will be sold AFTER all pre-orders have been distributed.
Blessings to you and your family! We look forward to celebrating the 8th graders together next week!
Your partner in Kingdom service,
Eric P. Burgess