High School Counseling Department
The Grand Rapids Christian High School Counselors are here to serve students and parents to ensure a positive experience academically and socially at GRCHS.
Counselors meet with students regularly throughout the course of their high school careers, and are here to support students for whatever needs may arise.
|CLASS YEAR||2022 (9th)||2021 (10th)||2020 (11th)||2019 (12)|
*Mrs. Joelle Williams is the GRCHS counselor/advisor to all students in the International Student Program.
Counselors will initiate contact with students regarding the following:
- Yearly course selections, including necessary schedule adjustments
- Academic problems upon referral from parents, teachers, or students
- Non-academic problems relating to attendance, discipline, etc., upon referral from administration, parents, or students
- Counselors will respond to requests from students, parents, and teachers in dealing with personal conflicts or concerns and make referrals if necessary.
Counselors will communicate with students and parents regarding college admissions, admissions testing, and financial aid information in the following ways:
- Students take the PSAT (optional, taken in Oct.) and PLAN (practice for the ACT with career/interest survey) in the spring.
- Counselors review results of the PLAN with students.
- Counselors also introduce students to Family Connection – an easy-to-use web application that will help guide students’ academic, and career and college choices, as well as provide them with opportunities for self exploration.
- Counselors review results of the PSAT (optional, taken in Oct.) and ACT test scores including career/interest survey results.
- Counselors further acquaint students with Family Connection, an online college and career information and planning tool.
- Counselors inform juniors and parents about the Michigan Merit Exam to be taken in March.
- During the Junior year there are three open events for students and parents: Junior Parent Night, Exploring College Options, and College Financing Night.
- Senior Year Plan – checking deadlines and applications for post high school opportunities.
- Seniors are asked to track all college and scholarship applications through Family Connection.
- Transcripts must also be requested through Family Connection.