Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.
1 Peter 4:10
Grand Rapids Christian Schools provides amplified learning in an innovative curricular experience for students in grades 9-12, bringing forth amazing opportunities for our students including unique on-campus courses, domestic and international travel, and professional internships throughout the community.
Winterim engages students in a two-week learning experience, allowing them to choose their own courses of interest.
Concentrated exposure and immersion in a chosen field provides an uncommon learning opportunity whereby students gain valuable tools to foster their true gifts, leading them to be effective servants of Christ in contemporary society.
- Why is Winterim a good fit for Grand Rapids Christian High School?
- Do other schools offer similar programs?
- What opportunities do students have during Winterim?
- Are there additional costs associated with Winterim?
- Can I create my own Winterim experience?
- Is Winterim required for graduation?
- Is Winterim graded?
- How does Winterim impact the school calendar and the other semester classes?
- How can I get involved in Winterim?
- Students are able to choose courses that relate to their passions.
- Teachers teach to their passions and are able to explore important topics normally not covered in semester classes.
- Smaller class sizes allow for closer student/teacher relationships that are ideal for faith formation.
- We partner with the community in providing unique educational opportunities not found in a normal seven-period day.
- There is potential for a different learning experience that might reach a different type of learner.
- Travel provides unique opportunities for service and global education.
- Internships give direction as students look to make future decisions.
Many private schools across the country do some type of January term. GRCHS spent time reviewing a variety of programs and specifically met with people from Wheaton Academy, a high school that has successfully implemented a Winterim for over 20 years. From that review, GRCHS has put together a program that we believe will best serve our students.
Winterim will replace one week from each semester and change our school calendar. School will start earlier (2nd or 3rd week of August) and allow for first semester to be completed before Christmas vacation. Although one week from each semester is removed, this calendar is ideal for learning and avoids an awkward January end to first semester.
- How are Winterim classes different from regular classes?
- Why and how are class sizes so small?
- How are guest instructors chosen?
- What courses are offered?
- When do students sign up for classes?
For two weeks, students take two, three-hour courses that immerse them in an amplified learning experience. It allows for hands-on and community-bsed learning that could take place both inside and outside the classroom. It allows teachers to dive deeper into a topic or explore a topic not covered during a semester course.
Visit the Winterim Internship page to learn more about Winterim Internship details and opportunities,
- How is an internship a relevant educational opportunity?
- Where can a student intern?
- Will the school set up an internship for students?
- How are students assessed at their internship?
Visit the Winterim Travel page to learn more about Winterim travel details and opportunities,
- How is travel a relevant educational opportunity?
- Is travel just for wealthy families?
- Why can’t freshmen travel?
- Can winter sport athletes travel?
- What trips will be offered in future years?
No! Grand Rapids Christian Schools is committed to providing travel opportunities for all families who want this learning experience. GRCS provides financial assistance to families who submit a financial aid applicaiton form and qualify for tuition assistance. Trip offerings vary greatly by price, destination, and purpose. Some trips will be service-oriented and allow for tax-deductible donations.
Each winter sport coach has established a Winterim travel policy. Coaches have the right to change this policy each year and it may vary by grade level. Please contact Jason Heerema, GRCHS Athletic Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about a specific sport.