Grand Rapids Christian Schools
Virtual Learning 2020
Grand Rapids Christian Schools recognizes the need for flexibility in learning formats. Each Grand Rapids Christian Schools family has the option to learn at school or online during the 2020-2021 school year. We are pleased to be offering GRCS Virtual Learning for families at no additional cost to regular tuition.
Who can choose GRCS Virtual Learning?
- Any Grand Rapids Christian Schools student, in any grade K-12, will be able to choose GRCS Virtual Learning as their preferred method of instruction.
- GRCS Virtual Learning might be a good choice for families with concerns about in-person instruction or specific health conditions.
- Students participating in on-campus instruction will still have access to virtual learning when they are not able to attend school due to illness.
Reasons for Virtual Learning
- The current virtual learning option has been developed to assist families who are uncomfortable with their child attending in person or who are quarantined due to COVID-19.
- Virtual learning is not for students to choose during family vacations or travel plans scheduled on days when school is in session.
- Offering in-person and virtual learning simultaneously is new territory for us, and we are not yet equipped to provide that level of learning flexibility for those purposes at this time.
- Parents will continue to have the option to request virtual learning three days prior to transitioning students to this option if there are significant health-related concerns, including concerns related to students’ exposure to family members or caretakers.
Illness and Sick Days
- If a K-8 student attending in person is ill and unable to attend school, whether it is due to COVID-like symptoms or simply a seasonal illness, single-day absences due to illness shall be viewed as a traditional excused sick day.
- Parents should continue to call the school each morning that their child will not attend in person due to a short-term illness and should also complete the health screening tool for that child every day as well.
Short-Term Virtual Learning Requests
- If students’ symptoms persist for more than a single day, students must remain home, and they may join their class virtually on the second day of their absence.
- To request short-term virtual learning due to illness, parents must contact their building principal by 2:30 pm on the day prior to their student starting virtual learning.
- This one-day waiting period is due to teachers needing time to prepare for students’ transitions from an in-person to a short-term virtual learning plan.
- Please note that it is also very important that parents contact the building principal for approval rather than the students’ teachers prior to students joining the classroom virtually for short-term absences due to illness.
How will GRCS Virtual Learning work?
- GRCS Virtual Learning will look slightly different by campus and by grade level.
- GRCS Virtual Learning will rely heavily on technology for student learning and growth.
- Students enrolled through the virtual option will attend their classes via livestream and participate in classroom assignments and assessments through specific platforms specific to each grade level.
- Click HERE to view the GRCHS Virtual Learning Commitments.
Virtual Learning Technology Issues
- We all experience troublesome technology issues from time to time, whether it is at home or at the office. That is certainly a reality at school as well!
- When a teacher is instructing and managing students attending in person, it is difficult to support technology questions from our virtual families in as timely of a manner as we would like.
- Rather than texting or calling the classroom teacher directly with questions during the school day, we have established a Technology Assistance Hotline for immediate support.
- Call 616.574.5813 Monday — Friday between 7:45 am — 3:15 pm for school-related technology support questions.
- Contact your school office for general assistance and with non-tech, school-related questions.
When do I choose GRCS Virtual Learning?
- If you’d like your child to participate in virtual learning complete the registration form.
- Students may transition to in-person learning at any time with three days of advanced notice.